1.7.13

Album: Elastic Summer EP ; Artist: Elastic Summer

Elastic Summer: Elastic Summer EP, 4 tracks

Assumed Genre
Pop, Pop rock
Album
Elastic Summer EP
Label
None
Bandcamp Link

Vocals
Rebecca Arrango
Guitar
Joe Schumacher
Drums
Michael Whalen
Bassist
Bryan Percivall



Elastic Summer is a great band from New York with a summery sound I've been enjoying this June. I stumbled upon this band on youtube doing a Strokes cover song.  A very good one, too.


The Band: Rebecca, Joe, Michael, and Bryan
The percussion choice makes me feel like I'm on an island listening to a local band. Snaps and steel drums successfully compliment the compositions.

The lyrics in all songs are absolutely wonderful through great use of figurative language like alliteration, assonance, and consonance. There's a lot of imagery in the lyrics, too. Here are SOME of my favorite lyrics to say because I love how they roll of my tongue.

"hurry like a hurricane" - "Disaster"

"coconuts and butter and black beans" - "Coconuts"

"sudden drizzle drops in my sugar spoon" - "June Gloom"

And of course, the lead singer Rebecca Arrango sings mellifluously. The quivers when she holds notes make her voice unique. Other singers do the same, but I think she's one of the few who pulls it off.

Unfortunately, I don't think Elastic Summer is still together. I did some research and found out that Arrango is editor for the LA Canvas. (http://www.lacanvas.com/).