10.7.13

Album: The English Riviera ; Artist: Metronomy

The English Riviera: Third Studio Album

Assumed Genre
Electro Pop, Electronic, Indie Pop
Album
The English Riviera
Label
Because
Spotify Link
Source
Housemate


Vocals, Guitar, Keyboard
Joseph Mount
Keyboard, Saxophone
Oscar Cash
Drums, Vocals
Anna Prior
Bass
Gbenga Adelekan
Keyboard, Bass
Gabriel Stebbing (until 2009)
Originally the band focused on instrumental music. Vocals were added in 2008 in their Nights Out album.

Metronomy: Oscar, Joseph, Gbenga, Anna

Metronomy has an 80's feel to it due to some of the keyboards. Vocals are combined in some songs by Joseph and Anna.

I listened to The English Riviera when I'm winding down or when I want to warm up for an activity. The catchy melodies make my shoulders dance and head nod.


"Because Everything Goes My Way" focuses female vocals and makes it different than the rest of the album.


"The Look" is the song that had me looking for more Metronomy songs. It's very catchy and although repetitive doesn't get boring.


"The Bay" sounds like a cross between disco and indie rock. Funkeh...


I am a fan of songs titled after girls. Wish I wasn't. But what the hell? 

It gives a stronger subject to the song, I find. Stories are easier told with names SOMETIMES. So "Corinne" is definitely on my favorites list.


The soft piano chords once again make a  progression for a catchy song in "Some Written." The funky keyboard melody is captivating and resonates as the song develops.


The album ends with a haunting mood set by "Love Underlined."